Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thing #9

This is my favorite Thing so far. I edited a Wikipedia entry. How liberating!

I can see all kinds of applications for wikis, especially in my own work as Education Librarian. Right now we subscribe to a pretty crappy resource that collocates lesson plans, curriculum plans, etc. in one place. It's called Kraus Curriculum Development Collection. Most of its content is found on the World Wide Web and most of it is not applicable to CA teachers. It would be much more useful if our students could access and contribute to a resource that addressed the needs of the CA curriculum. I know that many of their methods classes must require them to find resources, why not get them to annotate them in a wiki -- OK, or a blog? I have to think about it more. But they are already doing the work for their courses. Of course, a blog may be a better tool for this because people can comment on the resources, but then, I find wikis easier to navigate. Most users will be looking for resources, not a discussion. Yep, a wiki it will be.

Wikis can also be used to convey information about our institution to other members of it, say one that addressed the needs of those who need to compile stats for accrediation/PRBC stuff?

No comments: